Re: TS column embedded in cmu wall

Dennis,

Are you cantilevering the column from the top of the wall for any
structural purpose?  In otherwords, is the column going to be laterally
loaded and you want that lateral load to go down and into the wall?  If
so, is the load perpendicular to the wall or parallel?

As others have pointed out, you need to be careful of the potential
lateral deflection of the tube column.  If the wall is strictly there as
cladding and you are just trying to "bury" the tube in the wall (i.e. hide
it), then you need to make sure that the column has room to move relative
to the wall so that as the structure laterally moves, the column does not
inadvertantly load the CMU wall and cause cracking.  If the wall is to be
a structural element that is meant to take load from the column, then you
need to make sure that you are not loading the wall in such a way that it
cannot accomidate the load without cracking (i.e. restrict the lateral
deflection to L/600).

I would have to agree with some of the others that you might be better off
stopping the wall at the tube with a little gap (an inch or so) and then
restarting the wall on the otherside of the tube.  Then fill the gap
between the tube and wall with some compressible fill that will allow some
movement.  The exception would be if you are initially trying to transfer
some load from the tube to the wall.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI