Old Built-up Member

I've got an old set of Bridge plans with built-up members, rivets, and the like.

On one member, I have the following called out:

2 Web plates 52" x 7/16"
4 Angles 8" x 8" x 3/4"
2 Cover Plates 20" x 7/8" Full Length
2 Cover Plates 20" x 3/4" x 43'-0"
2 Cover Plates 20" x 5/8" x 35'-0"
2 Cover Plates 20" x 9/16" x 21'-0"
4 Side Plates 12" x 3/8"

Can anyone tell me what these 4 side plates are?

I thought at first they might be between the angles and the web plates,
but at the connection, there is a 3/4" filler plate detailed against the web
between the angles.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Jonathan Mallard, P.E.
Design Engineer
Ralph Whitehead Associates
(804) 794-1185
(804) 378-0923 FAX
jonathan.mallard(--nospam--at)rwhitehead.com
www.rwhitehead.com