Re: Concrete Sounding

In a message dated 2/11/2003 10:49:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, paulc(--nospam--at)ckcps.com writes:

"It seems like you should give the contractor the chance to try his method -
if it doesn't work pick another option."  That's the tricky part of testing: how do you know if it worked?

I think the original post indicated that the contractor would be drilling some holes to confirm his findings.  Essentially that is what a testing company would have to do to confirm their findings.

"If  missing some problem areas means collapse, then great care is called for."

Having been involved in a number of building demolitions,  it is awful hard to collapse a cast-in-place concrete building, even when you are trying.  Cast-in-place concrete buildings do not collapse because of concrete deterioration.

There have been collapses of precast and tilt-up buildings.  Most of the ones I have heard of occurred during construction, however, and were related to insufficient (or nonexistent) temporary bracing of the elements.

Gail S. Kelley