Re: Concrete Sounding

In a message dated 2/11/2003 11:42:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, 73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com writes:

True, even for buildings of other materials.  However, most catastrophic
collapses occur when no one is trying to collapse the structure, and then it
appears to occur quite easily.

I'd be interested in knowing of any collapses of cast-in-place concrete buildings. Especially any that occurred easily.

I would note that I have not read the ASCE publication on the Pentagon but one of the listed authors (Jim Harris) gave an excellent presentation on the ASCE work at ACI in Detroit.

Having attended a number of other presentations on the Pentagon,  and viewed both the fire and the work,  some of it from the balcony of my condo,  it seems like the overall impression is that the lack of collapse was quite impressive.

Gail S. Kelley