Re: X-Bracing

Be careful!

If the entire bracing frame can "pop-out" together, you have to use the
entire length.  Imaging imposing a lateral point load on the center of the
X, and having both buckle out of plane of the frame.

If the midpoint (center of the X) is laterally braced, then you can use
half the length as effective.  But in my limited experience, this is not
usually the case, and then you have different effective lengths.  What
usually the case is that in the plane of the frame (say Lx), the effective
length is half, but out of plane (say Ly), it remains the full length.

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           "Simon"         |
|         |           <shchao(--nospam--at)umich.ed|
|         |           u>              |
|         |                           |
|         |           02/11/2003 08:55|
|         |           AM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to seaint       |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                |
  |        To:      <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>                                                                            |
  |        cc:                                                                                                     |
  |        Subject: Re: X-Bracing                                                                                  |

If the two braces are interconnected in the middle you can use half the
length.

What do you use as the effective length? Is it half the brace length for
both Ly & Lx or full length for one axis and half on the other axis?
I know there were studies that you could use half the length of the brace -
could anyone point to the latest word on this topic?
Thanks a lot!

Rainier C. Catubig
San Diego, California