      1.  CYCLIC LOAD BEHAVIOR OF ANGLE X-BRACING.
      Author: Goel, Subhash C.; El-Tayem, Adel A.
      Source: Journal of Structural Engineering, v 112 n 11 Nov 1986. p
2528-2539

      2.  EFFECTIVE LENGTH FACTOR FOR THE DESIGN OF X-BRACING SYSTEMS.
      Author: El-Tayem, Adel A.; Goel, Subhash C.
      Source: Engineering Journal of the American Institute of Steel
Construction, v 23 n 1 1st Quarter 1986. p 41-45

I am not sure there is enough information in those papers; however, in the
original report those paper come from, it states:"....the buckled half of
the compression member is able to sustain a compressive load which can be
calculated by the AISC Specification formulas with an effective length equal
to 0.85L, where L represents the length of half the compression diagonal".
This is what I am aware of.

Simon

Simon,

Yes, my X-Brace are interconnected in the middle. Do you have any literature
that supports using effective length = half the brace length. My brace is
60' long and my load is around 400 kips. It will make a lot of difference if
I could justify using half the length.
Thanks a lot!

Rainier C. Catubig
San Diego, California