Re: X-Bracing/ Simon

I think I recall an article about x-bracing by Goel in Engineering Journal from a few years ago (maybe mid 80's?) that touched upon this subject. Might be worth hitting the AISC site and doing a search. However, that aside, I think it is logical provided that you check the tension braces for an additional midspan point load. This could be 2% of the compression brace force for simplicity (or you could use bracing formulas laid out by Yura). If you're going to rely on having an effective brace, you must be sure that it truly exists.

Eric Ober

RainCat1(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

Simon,

Yes, my X-Brace are interconnected in the middle. Do you have any literature that supports using effective length = half the brace length. My brace is 60' long and my load is around 400 kips. It will make a lot of difference if I could justify using half the length.
Thanks a lot!

Rainier C. Catubig
San Diego, California