Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: SE Fees for Building

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
After sending it, I also had trouble understanding it :^)
British Columbia, Canada, has a new structural engineer designation that will be called "SER" (Structural Engineer of Record), or maybe "S.Eng".  We have to pass interviews and examinations that identify whether we truly are "competent" to practise structural engineering. 
At the moment, the designation becomes mandatory January 2007.  It will apply to all structural engineers taking responsibility for buildings  that must conform to Part 3 of our building code.  I.e. almost all buildings that are not farm buildings or residential (and some commercial) that are less than about 6000 sq ft.
When the bylaw kicks in, I opine that the rates for structural engineers will probably go up, since there may be a shortage of SER's in the short term.

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)
----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Fix
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: SE Fees for Building

Would you clarify that last statement?  I got lost in the grammer.


--- vicpeng <vicpeng(--nospam--at)> wrote:
> With the new SER (Structural Engineer of Record) designation (in BC) that will become mandatory after 2007 for all structurals taking responsibility for buildings requiring professional architects, engineers, the fee rate may take a jump.
> Thor A Tandy