Re: X-Bracing

I would personally not use half the brace length for out-of-plane bucking.  One brace is in tension and will attempt to help prevent out-of-plane buckling of the compression brace at midspan where the tension brace intersects the compression brace.  There will likely still be some out-of-plane deflection of the compression brace, but less than if there were no tension brace present to help restrain the compression brace.  You could conservatively use 1.0, but I wouldn't go less than 0.75 (more of gut feel, than maybe based upon test data). Most likely the brace is going to buckle out-of-plane unless you can orient your brace such that it buckles in-plane (HSS turned flat, Wide-flange brace turned flat, etc.).  For buckling in-plane, you probably could use half the length since the tension brace supports the compression brace where the braces interesect each other.

Michael Cochran S.E.