Re: Historic Texts on Structure

Mark Geoghegan gave me a good plug on this thread, so now I guess I'd better de-lurk and respond. With two generations of engineers behind me (my father Milo and his father Milo) I have quite a collection of historic texts. There are of course those with my ancestors' names on the covers. They include

by Milo Ketchum Senior (1872-1934), each with several editions:

"The design of walls, bins, and grain elevators"

"The design of steel mill buildings and the calculation of stresses in framed structures"

"The design of highway bridges and the calculation of stresses in bridge trusses"

"Surveying manual" (with Pence)

"Design of mine structures"

"Structural Engineers Handbook"

These books all focus on practical design, and make extensive use of graphic statics. I'm afraid it's the profession's loss that graphic statics seems to be a lost art. Not that current methods aren't more precise, but graphic statics is a great way to learn to visualize the flow of forces.

One of my favorite quotes from the Handbook (3rd edition, 1924) is "Structural sections can be divided into finite elements, the properties of which are known. Then (the integrals) become ...". I showed this to Professor Clough when I was a student at Berkeley, and we both got a chuckle out of it.

by Milo Ketchum Jr. (1910-1999):

"Handbook of Standard Structural Details for Buildings"

I still get occasional inquiries about this book.

The libraries by other authors that I inherited are great resources. I think the oldest book is

"General theory of bridge construction, containing Demonstrations of the principles of the art and their application to practice" by Herman Haupt, 1851 and 1866. (I like the word "art" in the title.)

One of my favorite finds is a technical paper from the University of Illinois Bulletin, 1925. "Elements Necessary for Highest Success" by Professor I.O. Baker. Item 4 on his list: Breadth of Knowledge. "... unless the engineer has a breadth of knowledge to enable him to meet the other man on his own ground or upon some common middle ground, the engineer is likely to be regarded by other educated men as being somewhat of an ignoramus."

Two of the most remarkable books aren't about civil structures, but are a great read if you can decipher German:

"Funfundzwanzig Jahre, Zeppelin-Luftshiffbau" by Dr. L. Durr

"Der Luftschiffbau Schütte-Lanz 1909-1925" by Dr. Ing. Johann Schütte

In these two books, the chief designers of the two most advanced and successful Airship companies of their time describe their ships with technical descriptions, photos and drawings. Dürr was Zeppelin's chief designer. Prof. Schütte´s airships were in many respects more advanced then contemporary Zeppelins. Luftschiffbau Schütte-Lanz was the hardest competitor to Zeppelin-Luftschiffbau.

Well, I was going to continue to lurk here, and now I've written a tome. I'll close by updating Mark Geoghegan's link. The link he provided (below) is to an archive of my father's life. Someday maybe I'll do something similar for my grandfather. My own recent work is showcased at http://www.opacengineers.com/

Mark Ketchum
San Francisco