RE: seaint Digest for 12 Feb 2003

Hugh Brooks, SE wrote:

 "A friend has the first UBC (1927). "

About 3 or 4 years ago I purchased the UBC's from 1927 through 1994 on a 2
volume CD collection from ICBO (The early years from 1927-1964 and a later
volume covering 1967 through 1994). The format is actual images of the codes
accessed through a simple browser type function with simple search
capability. For those of you who do retrofit work, these codes can give you
a good idea what to expect in terms of design criteria at the time your
building was designed. I have found them invaluable. They are listed online
at the ICBO website (www.icbo.org) at $420 nonmember price, $350 member
price for the two volume set or $245 nonmember, $200 member for either
volume separately.

>From a historical perspective, it is quite interesting to see things in the
old codes like lateral seismic base shear coefficients of 0.04, spacing of
wall anchors at 18 feet on center, etc.  We've come a long ways in terms of
criteria, but have lost the simplicity of earlier codes.

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Oakland CA