RE: Structural steel end-plate moment connection question

In the high seismic areas, for a long time the end plate connections were
not allowed by the UBC. Until the Northridge earthquake fiasco happened and
forced the entire code writing and steel industry groups to re-evaluate
every type of connection. The end result is that with certain limitations
the End Plate connections are now pre-qualified in the FEMA 350. (However
that is still not the code). The main reason for the engineers not using
them (I am Guessing here) may be the difficulty of design. It is a pretty
tedious process. For that matter, the design of bolted flange plate is not
much easer either. And, we are not seeing many of them being built in this
area either.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA