Re: SE Fees for Building

Expanding projects can be take care of by charging on sq.ft basis.

In India, we have a builders lobby which insists on charging fees on sq.ft.
buildings even for architects. That gives them a clear idea of the actual
expense involved in sq.ft basis and even if the project cost goes up the fee
component remains constant.

This helps the builder as he can spend as much as he wants on the finishes
without affecting the architectural fees.

It is quite difficult to asses the fees on the basis of numbers of hours you
put. We structural engineers are supposed to be  constant learners and are
suppose to use our experience to solve problems. By this I may solve a
problem in minutes making the client wonder why am I charging him so much
for so less time taken by me. He does not realise that it has taken years to
gain experience.

I am quite surprised to hear that at some places the architect gets paid
about 10% of the total cost. In India the Arch fees range from 3% to 7.5%
which includes the fees for structural and services consultants.

Here Structural engineers are paid a fees of 0.75% to 4% of the structural
works.
(This includes all civil works only ie. Structural Framing, partitions walls
with plaster etc No finishing cost is considered).

Assuming that the Architect gets a fees of 5% of total building cost
Structural contribution out of which is say 20%. Which means that the 1% of
the fees is essentially for Structure. Now the question is HOW should this
portion of the fees be divided between the structural consultant and the
architect (even though the arch input in structures is many times nil).

Looking forward to your comments.

Vijay Patil