Crack control for swimming pool.

Title: Crack control for swimming pool.

We are designing a swimming pool that has grade beams and one-way slabs spanning between the grade beams.  Strength analysis does not require a lot of reinforcing, however meeting the crack control requirements is becoming a tedious iterative process, only to find out we can't achieve the appropriate z-value.  We need a z-value of 43 corresponding to crack width,w = 0.004 inch (water retaining structures).  We need 3" of clear cover as we are pouring the slab on grade, then expect soil settlement on the order of 12 inches per the geotechnical investigation.  I have tried a lot of different bar sizes, and spacings.  Has anybody else been in a similar situation?  Thanks.

Bill S. Marczewski, P.E.
Peratrovich, Nottingham & Drage, Inc.
503-325-1250 Main; 503-325-9789 Fax
bmarczewski(--nospam--at)pndast.com