Crack control for swimming pool.

Bill,

This is a common problem that I have run into designing footings.  You put
more and more steel in the footing and still can't meet the z requirement.
However, the code says that you only need to check for z using 60 ksi or
greater steel as 40 ksi reinforcing does not produce crack problems.
Therefore, the maximum reinforcing that I would put in the footing would be
not more than would be required if I was designing for 40 ksi reinforcing.

It should be noted that this horrible z requirement is no longer in 318-02.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Marczewski wrote:

. > We are designing a swimming pool that has grade beams and one-way slabs
. > spanning between the grade beams.  Strength analysis does not require a
. > lot of reinforcing, however meeting the crack control requirements is
. > becoming a tedious iterative process, only to find out we can't achieve
. > the appropriate z-value. We need a z-value of 43 corresponding to crack
. > width,w = 0.004 inch (water retaining structures). We need 3" of clear
. > cover as we are pouring the slab on grade, then expect soil settlement on
. > the order of 12 inches per the geotechnical investigation. I have tried a
. > lot of different bar sizes, and spacings.  Has anybody else been in a
. > similar situation? Thanks.

. > Bill S. Marczewski, P.E.