Re: Hydronic Heating in Topping Slab

James

For most installations of radiant floor heat systems the minimum
concrete fill would be on the other of 1 1/2 to 2" thick.  Assuming the
supporting structure is stiff enough, the usual case, mesh on the order
of 6x6-W1.4xW1.4 or W2xW2 will provide your crack control.  Almost all
of the radiant floor systems that I have reviewed stipulate that the
tubing is tied to the top of the mesh.  It's easier for the plumber to
install and space the tubes on the 6x6 grid.  However, in spite of the
moaning, I require the tubes on the bottom and the mesh on top.  This
keeps the mesh up in the concrete where it is better for crack control.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.