Re: Crack control for swimming pool.

Bill,

There are a couple of tricks you can do with this.  The first is to check your cross section as if it was plain concrete.  If your stresses are low then there is a chance that fb < M/S < 5 sqrt fc' and therefore your concrete should not crack.  The next thing is to calculate the "actual" unfactored steel stress and not just use the default 0.6fy.  Another trick is to reference ACI 350, "Environmental Engineering for Concrete Structures", which has a provision that states you only need to consider the first two inches of cover for the purpose of calculating "z".  Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Bill Marczewski" <bmarczewski(--nospam--at)pndast.com>

02/18/2003 11:45 AM
Please respond to seaint