Pedestrian Bridge

Randy,

I would use the AASHTO requirements, particularly clearance requirements with
allowance for future repaving.

For vertical clearance, I would use the Interstate clearance requirements as
I have never seen cargo transferred from an Interstate truck to a smaller
urban truck for travel on city streets.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Randy Diviney wrote:

. >  I am currently designing a pedestrian bridge which will connect 2
. > existing hospitals. The bridge will be used for hospital personnel only.
. > The spans are approximately 98' and 60' with a 10' cantilever on each
. > end. The bridge is 11' wide. It crosses a 4 lane highway and a 2 lane
. > highway. The architecturals call for steel columns and no limit on the
. > size. 2 steel beams will span from column to column. I was going to use
. > cantilever construction to help with erection. The roof framing will be
. > tapered castellated beams supported by 6" tube columns at 10' o.c. The
. > footings have been in place for about 10 years and must be reused.

. > Can I design the structure as if it is a building or do I need to apply
. > some bridge principles? What other issues do I need to consider?