From: Randy Diviney [mailto:rsdiviney(--nospam--at)hayeslarge.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 7:09 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: Pedestrian Bridge

 I am currently designing a pedestrian bridge which will connect 2 existing
hospitals. The bridge will be used for hospital personnel only. The spans
are approximately 98' and 60' with a 10' cantilever on each end. The bridge
is 11' wide. It crosses a 4 lane highway and a 2 lane highway. The
architecturals call for steel columns and no limit on the size. 2 steel
beams will span from column to column. I was going to use cantilever
construction to help with erection. The roof framing will be tapered
castellated beams supported by 6" tube columns at 10' o.c. The footings have
been in place for about 10 years and must be reused.

Can I design the structure as if it is a building or do I need to apply some
bridge principles? What other issues do I need to consider?

TIA