Re: Pedestrian Bridge

Randy,

        In Calgary (population about 1,000,000) we have a large network of
pedestrian bridges connecting many of the downtown buildings at the second
storey level.  This system is known locally as the Plus 15 System because of it
being approximately 15 feet above street level.  The system is heated of course
(or at least 95% of it is).  You can go between buildings a dozen blocks apart
in complete comfort, even in winter, and never have to go outside in the cold or
wait for a traffic light to change.  Most of the system is inside of the
buildings, generally midway between the street and the lane (or alternate
street), and has provided for a whole array of store front shopping (on both
sides of the "sidewalk" yet) on the second floor level.  Virtually all of the
system is handicap accessible.

        Needless to say, there are numerous pedestrian bridges required at the
various street crossings and the spans are more or less as you have indicated.

        I have never designed any of the bridges for this system but, since I am
now involved with the restoration of one of the historic buildings presently not
connected to the system I expect that I soon will be doing so.  I have to
contact the City in the next day or two regarding this building so I will
inquire regarding the Plus 15 requirements and either pass them on to you or
provide you with a contact so that you can order them yourself.

        I can't imagine why you would need to design for AASHTO loading, other
than possible impact loading from vehicles passing under.  The only motorized
vehicles I have ever seen using the system are electric wheelchairs.  Since you
have hospitals to contend with it is possible they will want to use golf cart
size vehicles for transporting linens, patients, and whatever.  I suggest you
allow for some additional loading in your design; once they find out how
convenient it is they will want to expand their use of the system.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson