RE: HSS and FEMA 350

> It is currently my understanding that there are no
>provisions in FEMA that allow for pre-qualified
>connections of HSS sections.  If anyone is aware
>of any criteria or provisions for these types of
>connections please let me know.

FEMA 350 only covered W-shapes. Two options for HSS I can think of:

  1. If it is permitted to use R=3, systems of normal ductility and the AISC Specification (without the additional requirements in the AISC Seismic Provisions) can be used. This is probably the least-cost approach in any case when R=3 is permitted.
  2. If you must meet the AISC Seismic Provisions (i.e., you are in Seismic Design Category D, E or F), perhaps you can use an OMF per 2002 AISC Seismic Provisions Part I, Section 11.
The AISC Seismic Provisions are avilable for free download at http://www.aisc.org.

Charlie