Re: Pedestrian Bridge

Randy,

I have just finished the design development drawings for a pedestrian
bridge in Philadelphia. I used BOCA, Philadelphia Bldg Code, and ASCE 7 as
my design guidelines. I then compared these results with AASHTO's "Guide
Specifications for the Design of Pedestrian Bridges (1997)". The design
loads and criteria includes Live, Vehicle*, Wind, Deflection, Vibrations,
Fatigue, and Minium Metal Thickness. I ordered the book for about $20.

If you do a search of the list server for, "Pedestrian Bridge Live Load"
you will find some additional info.

Thank You

Mitchell J. Sklar, P.E.
STV Incorporated
Senior Structural Project Engineer
sklarmj(--nospam--at)stvinc.com
215-832-3531 (p)
215-832-3599 (f)

                    "Randy Diviney"
                    <rsdiviney@hayes        To:     "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    large.com>              cc:
                                            Subject:     Pedestrian Bridge
                    02/19/03 08:09
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

 I am currently designing a pedestrian bridge which will connect 2 existing
hospitals. The bridge will be used for hospital personnel only. The spans
are approximately 98' and 60' with a 10' cantilever on each end. The bridge
is 11' wide. It crosses a 4 lane highway and a 2 lane highway. The
architecturals call for steel columns and no limit on the size. 2 steel
beams will span from column to column. I was going to use cantilever
construction to help with erection. The roof framing will be tapered
castellated beams supported by 6" tube columns at 10' o.c. The footings
have
been in place for about 10 years and must be reused.

Can I design the structure as if it is a building or do I need to apply
some
bridge principles? What other issues do I need to consider?

TIA

The information contained in this electronic message is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain
recipient, you are informed that any dissemination, copying or disclosure
of
the material contained herein, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please notify STV and
purge
this message.