Millenium Bridge - RE: Pedestrian Bridges

Yes it's called the Millenium Bridge (as in the year 2000).  A classic case
of pedestrian vibration.  It was shut down for more than a year while they
repaired it.  It opened before last summer when I had a chance to "walk"
it.   It looked like a steel bridge to me, but not certain.  It was
originally built with low-sag steel cable supports.  They had to add tuned
mass dampers under the deck and viscous dampers at the supports.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso Viejo, CA

                      "Andrew D. Kester"
                      <andrew@baeonline.c      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      om>
                      02/20/03 05:10 AM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  RE: Pedestrian Bridges

.....Another quick example, besides Ole Galoping Gurdy (more of a wind
vibration
problem), is the Millenium Bridge (I think that is it) in London. This was
multi-million dollar state of the art pedestrian bridge over the Thames,
and
was designed by one of the big boys. Well, it opened up to great fanfare,
but was soon closed down because the lightweight structure began vibrating
with the unified footsteps of the pedestrians. I believe the bridge was not
just made out of steel, I think it was a composite? This is all from
memory,
I am sure someone else knows more about it or you can check the web.
Anyway,
I think they closed it down, studied the problem, and installed a tuned
damper (not cheap).

Andrew D. Kester, EI
Structural Engineer
Bentley Architects & Engineers