Re: concrete resistant to ferrous sulfate

Ken,

        Something I would check out is the following.

1.)    Use Sulphate resistant cement and the densest, most impermeable mix possible.

2.)    Use a liquid application sealer or, perhaps, a 30 mill membrane of the type used for pond liners or on parking structures in northern locations where de-icing salt is applied.

        You didn't say anything about temperature of the tanks.  This might affect the selection of sealant material.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

Ken Peoples wrote:

I have a client who has a building with several tanks containing ferrous sulfate.  The existing concrete floor slabs on grade are badly deteriorated and he wants to replace them to create a containment area.  I had a Sika rep. in to see them and he is recommending complete replacement with some sort of topping - the type of which has not yet been determined, but he is suggesting doing some testing to be sure that what they come up with will hold up.  My client would like to know if it is possible to use some sort of additive to the concrete rather than a topping.  Any of your experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ken  Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
1584 Weaversville Road
Northampton, PA 18067-9039
Phone: (610) 262-6345
Fax: (610) 262-8188