Grouting the base plates

Hi,

It has been my understanding that dry pack grouting is used when you have a
gap of 1-1/2" or more under the base plates and that fluid grouts are used
for 1/2"<gap<=1-1/2" . In a current job with roof steel columns supported by
a concrete elevated slab,we have 10"x10" base plates (typ.) with 3"x3" shim
plates in the center of base plates used during the installation of columns.
Gaps are 3/4" to 1-1/2". Is there anyway to use dry pack (or similar) and
avoid fluid grout ? (to avoide forming around the base plate and using head
box,etc...)

TIA,
Reza Dashti P.Eng.
Vancouver, BC