Pedestrian Bridge

You have to consider two important subject in designing a pedestrian bridge

First, the vertical displacement caused by live load should not exceed
L/1000 (as I know this is a code requirement)
and the second, wind loading. But especially the wind effects which will be
caused by vehicles passing the highway under your pedestrian bridge: I think
this effect will govern your design if you are not in a seismic area.

regards

Bulent Deveci