De: Ed.Haninger(--nospam--at)Fluor.com [mailto:Ed.Haninger(--nospam--at)Fluor.com]
Enviado el: Jueves, 20 de Febrero de 2003 11:43 a.m.
Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
CC: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Asunto: Millenium Bridge - RE: Pedestrian Bridges

Yes it's called the Millenium Bridge (as in the year 2000).  A classic
case of pedestrian vibration.  It was shut down for more than a year
while they repaired it.  It opened before last summer when I had a
chance to "walk"
it.   It looked like a steel bridge to me, but not certain.  It was
originally built with low-sag steel cable supports.  They had to add
tuned mass dampers under the deck and viscous dampers at the supports.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso Viejo, CA

                      "Andrew D. Kester"

                      <andrew@baeonline.c      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

                      om>

                      02/20/03 05:10 AM        cc:

                      Please respond to

                      seaint                   Subject:  RE: Pedestrian
Bridges

.....Another quick example, besides Ole Galoping Gurdy (more of a wind
vibration problem), is the Millenium Bridge (I think that is it) in
London. This was a multi-million dollar state of the art pedestrian
bridge over the Thames, and was designed by one of the big boys. Well,
it opened up to great fanfare, but was soon closed down because the
lightweight structure began vibrating with the unified footsteps of the
pedestrians. I believe the bridge was not just made out of steel, I
think it was a composite? This is all from memory, I am sure someone
else knows more about it or you can check the web. Anyway, I think they
closed it down, studied the problem, and installed a tuned damper (not
cheap).

Andrew D. Kester, EI
Structural Engineer
Bentley Architects & Engineers
665 W. Warren Ave.
Longwood, FL 32750
1-407-331-6116
andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com
www.baeonline.com

or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient
retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action
taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you
material from any computer.  Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect
the views of the company.