RE: Commonest Grades for Steel Sections

>I need to know the three most common grades for each type of
>steel section available in US. This is my current list, ...

Answers below ...

>W shapes

A992 is now the cat's meow for W-shapes. You can still buy A36, but it will
likely cost more (even though it has lower strength.

>M, S, HP, C, MC, L

A36 is the default. A572 grade 50 can be had, but I'd call ahead to ensure
availability before using it. A992's scope was recently expanded to include
these, but I'm not aware of anyone actually producing anything other than
W-shapes to A992 yet.

>WT, MT, ST shapes

WT shapes come from W-shapes. MT and ST come from M and S shapes,
respectively. Therefore, see comments for those shapes above.

>HSS rectangular shapes

Only A500 grades B and C are available, except by special order. B is most
common, but C is not hard to get.

>HSS round shapes

Same as for rectangular.

>PIPE

Only A53 is applicable.

Speaking more generally, A588 can be had for the hot-rolled shapes (non-HS,
non-Pipe) above if you want weathering steel. Call ahead to ensure
availability forst, though.

Charlie