Re: Pedestrian Bridge

There are no requirements in the AASHTO code to take "uplift/wind effects du
to trucks passing underneath the pedestrian bridge" in account.
The wind forces in AASHTO are based on a 100 mph wind (gusting effects
included). (This base wind velocity can be reduced if you are in areas with
lower max. wind velocities.)
The AASHTO standard specifications for highway bridges does consider
overturning/uplift forces (Article 3.15.3) but this is to consider the
effect of interruption of the horizontal flow of air by the structure.

I do not believe that trucks passing under the structure can have a bigger
effect than a 100 mph wind.

Oliver Mueller
PARSONS
Chicago