RE: Subject: Calculations of Base Shear

I agree with Mark's approach. I usually use the full wall weights in the
diaphragm design for simplification; but I recently separated the parallel
and perpendicular wall weights according to seismic direction for a design
with tall, fully grouted 12-inch masonry walls. In any case, the total
weight of walls must be accounted for in calculating total base shear.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236