Re: Torsional Constant

Scott.

I used the data from the ASCE publication that you included in your email to
determine a value of J = 0.1365 in^4.  This is close to the value given in
the AISC manual for L5 x 3 x 3/8 and for L 4 x 4 x 3/8 [both 0.141in^4]; it
seems to makes sense that these values match.  The value that result from
the information provided by Charlie and Eric is in the same range.

Thanks all!.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA