Re: Correcting out of level wood frame structures

Ben,

Thanks for the reply. To embellish on my earlier post, additional issues with this structure are that it is a newly completed large finished luxury one family home comprising two levels only with attic and is occupied. The entire building is not racked - individual walls are not plumb.  The problem arose from original construction, not later loading. The bigger issue is the lack of a level walking surface. The jacking procedure which was recommended was intended to permanently deform the joists/beams so as to present a level walking surface. My own impression is that it might ultimately be cheaper to demolish and rebuild.

Would that alter your recommendation? If not, what is the time you would envision for the problem to be corrected?

James Cohen, PE
James Cohen Consulting, PC
Pennington, NJ
http://expertpages.com/jccpc