Re: Correcting out of level wood frame structures

I can't see how jacking the structure and re-leveling the bottom will
ensure the plumbness of interior bearing and partition walls, level
floors except for the first new level slab or platform and the re-
setting of door and window jambs. If the structure was built without
addressing the proper alignment during the construction phase there is
no returning to an "original desired condition". One can achieve
closeness. One can cover alot with false walls and drywall and cement
furred walls.

I've experienced this after the Whittier EQ. And also when called upon
to re-set multi-storied, split level structures due to heave of highly
expansive soils and relocating homes off slide areas. If the structure
was never in a proper alignment when originally built it does not want
to assume that shape no matter how much hope, pushing and shoving is
done. And, moving from a 22-ounce hammer to a 4-lb maul and eventually
to a 12-lb sledge hammer still does not mend the original poor
construction.

Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what
they can do when they stick together. - Vesta M. Kelly

Robert P. "Bob" Ross, P.E.
Washington Group International Inc.
17320 Red Hill #300
Irvine, CA 92614