RE: Quonset Hut

I have a Quonset Hut W.W.II vintage. It has heavy steel construction with
deep ribs.

I had a conversation with a contractor in S. California. His new hut failed.

I did not get the job but I recall that the depth of web in the corrugated
sheathing and the gauge was disturbingly small compared to what mine is made
of. Deflections were excessive. He reported several inches.

-I proposed to begin with an analysis using a 3-d model.
-I saw the need to model the arch with enough elements to represent the
curve.
-The arch reaction will cause footing movement bot vertical and horizontal.
-Proper use of unbalanced loading. Not only side to side, but also partial
office areas may be heated (unbalanced end loading).
-Affects of flat end walls restraining the end of the arch creating warping
as the main body of the arch deflects.
-Local flange buckling of the corrugation may control the gauge requirement.
-Critical stresses may not occur at the top.
-Local web buckling may control the bolt or spot weld spacing.
-I sure do not want someone using one design for 100 huts. I could not quite
get the person to say if the job was to design a new one or to reinforce the
first or to develop reasons why it failed.

David Merrick, SE