Re: Torsional Constant - WLB of plate

Suresh,

I have been working with Section F1.  The first paragraph under F1. DESIGN FOR FLEXURE,  reads that it is applicable to compact sections and non-compact tees and double angles -- solid rectangular bars are not discussed in that section.  Section 2a [in subsections (b)] seems to be dealing with non-compact shapes that are subject to lateral torsional bucking, and includes solid rectangular bars.  I've assumed that this section is applicable to my problem.  I had not caught that the commentary does not deal with non-compact rectangular bars in bending.

My closer look, based on your comment seems to indicate that I should be working with Appendix F.  Thanks for the "Heads up".

Nels

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA