cable x-bracing?

A client asked me to look into the idea of designing a small braced frame using HSS columns with cable x-bracing (aesthetic reasons) in lieu of a plywood shearwall for his residential remodel.  I don't see anything in the CBC that would prohibit the use of cables as tension bracing for this structure.  But I have no experience with cables and would appreciate any advice, design references, leads, warnings (?).  I purchased the ASCE publication on the use of cables in buildings (referenced in the CBC), but this does not help me with the practical design and application, specifications and installation procedures.

If you have anything to say about this idea, please e-mail me directly (kcasano(--nospam--at)cox.net) as I am a digest subscriber and hope to get input as soon as possible.  Thank you!

Karen Casano, SE
San Diego