RE: ASD and T's

>Old versions of the specification covered WTs
>with the same equations that are used in Section
>F1 of the green book.

WTs do not behave the same in flexure as W-shapes. The lateral-torsional
buckling limit state is different. The local buckling limit state is
different. Even yielding is treated differently with the variation in upper
limit in recognition of the high shape factor for a tee (to limit inelastic
deformations under service loads).

The advice Davis Parsons gave previously gives a good solution for ASD. One
other alternative I've taken is to use the nominal strength equation in the
LRFD specification and divide it by an appropriate factor of safety.

Charlie