Re: section 1633.2.9 (3) / masonry veneer

Paul,

My opinion would be "yes" that is does apply.  Part of the seismic load
from the mass of the wall would have to be carried into the diaphragm to
be taken to the lateral resistance elements, unless the wall is meant to
be a self-supported cantilever wall.  Another way to look at it is to look
at it from a wind type perspective...if there is wind blowing on that
wall, some of that load will react onto the diaphragm that is laterally
supporting the wall.  Same thing with a seismic load.

But then you have to factor in that I am not that familiar with the UBC so
my intepretation may leave some to be desired.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI