Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: Differential temperature effect

As an aside to the real question:   concrete typically retains all of its strength to about 300 C (572 F).  Above this temperature,  it starts to lose strength due to the dehydration of the cement and breakdown of the aggregate.  Concrete with siliceous aggregate loses strength faster than concrete with carbonate aggregate (limestone or dolomite.)

Some concretes start to turn pink at temperatures above 300 C (one of the ways to figure out how hot the concrete got during a fire).  The reaction is thought to have something to do with ferrous salts in the paste.

Gail Kelley