Getting Wind Load Criteria

Greetings and Salutations:

Our primary market area is the state of Mississippi and the states immediately surrounding Mississippi.  We have been under the Standard Building Code but see the 2000 IBC being adopted in various locations.  None of the building code officials or any of the architects we deal with have any idea about the contents and changes in Chapter 16.  We are spending a great deal of time educating  the architects to the impact of the new code.

My question is this:

How are the rest of you getting the information you need to be able to set up and analyze the wind forces?

The clients we have now are not willing to pay a fee adequate for what we would consider a full structural package - ie:  preliminary design, site assessment, design, inspections, etc.  Our fee often is not adequate to cover the design costs.  The architects simply see this as another means of jacking up our suppressed fees.  We have dug in on a couple of projects indicating that we could not start work until they could provide the answers to issues raised in Section 1609.6.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bobby Jenkins, PE
Jenkins Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 2101