Re: Getting Wind Load Criteria

Bobby

To a large extent it relies a lot on a general knowledge of the area
your projects are located combined with topographic maps.  Generally
site surveys show only the project property and not surrounding
topography which may influence the designs.  Site visits are the best
but most often are not part of the structural fee structure when working
as a consultant, especially when long distance travel is required.
Working with the client to get photos of the surrounding area helps but
photos can be deseptive.  Architects always make (or at least should
make) sites visits during their planning phases.  Get them to take
photos of the surrounding area for a feel of the area.  If Structural is
lead then we should be doing the site visit.  Education of our clients
regarding the code provisions is also important, especially if the
provisions are a significant change.  This always takes time especially
of the client is not very familiar with the codes to begin with.  Also
it helps a lot if you have a building department/official that insists
that the structural observations/special inspections of the code are
complied with.  The first time the client goes throgh the permitting
process, he'll get nailed with these and have to get back to you.  Be
sure to include/exclude these features in you fee proposal in writing.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.