cable x-bracing

Contact a local cable supplier and get a brochure from them. You will find
there are generally two types of design methods.  The power industry uses
cable frequently to tie off power poles.  The second is tension-only
structures like tents which should be designed by ASCE.  The two methods are
profoundly different, do not get them mixed up.

We used a number of cables in the Olympics for temporary bracing.  Most
cables were 1/2" or 5/8" diameter improved plow steel cables.  Once you get
the catalogue, you will see several different steel types.  I would also
recommend talking to a local supplier, they will have a wealth of
information on connection design.

Here in Salt Lake, Rocky Mountain Wire and Rope has been incredibly helpful.
If you are in the intermountain west, I would recommend you contact them.

Best of luck,
Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT