Re: Redundancy & Robustness - Do you have pictures?

Good luck, Charlie.

Since exposure of such structures (heavily corroded, but still standing) would attract the attention of OSHA, I wonder how many will come forward with data.

I have seen seriously corroded steel structures in refineries, somewhat similar to what you quoted. If you get a chance to visit some old refineries (and some chemical plants) which have been running operation on shoe string budgets, you will have a bonanza.

Rajendran

 "Carter, Charlie" <carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for good pictures of steel structures displaying evidence of
> reserve strength or resilience otherwise unanticipated in design. I've
> heard many stories in dinner conversations, some after a few drinks, of
> remarkable examples. One I remember was about an old paper mill building
> so redundant, it stood operation for several years despite a column with 4
> ft of its base corrosively eaten away. Mind you, I'm not necessarily
> looking for every example to be as spectacular as that one.
>
> If you know of a good example that fits the bill, I'd love to hear about
> it. If you have pictures or know where I can find them, that's even
> better! Please share any information you care to with me. My coordinates
> are:
>
> carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org
> 312/670-5414 voice
> 312/644-4226 fax
> AISC, One East Wacker Drive, Suite 3100, Chicago, IL 60601
>
> Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.
>
> Regards,
> Charlie

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org