RE: Steel Pan Stairs

Julius Blum & Co. manufactures components for railing systems.  They
include a section on railing design in their catalog.  They include a graph
to show what percentage of applied load can be assumed to be carried by
adjacent posts under different circumstances.  A summary statement in the
literature that gives you an idea of how the chart can help is as follows:
"When posts and rails are of identical material and section and post
spacing is between 3 and 6 feet while post height is between 30 and 42
inches, load distribution is fairly uniform.  In this situation, the
greatest proportion of a concentrated load carried by any post can be
estimated as follows:
End posts:
     2 span railing		Pf = 0.85
     3 or more span railing	Pf = 0.82
Intermediate posts:
     2 span railing		Pf = 0.65
     3 or more span railing	Pf = 0.60
They also talk about reinforcing pipe internally.

Incidentally, even though a lot of people believe that 1 1/4" pipe is the
largest you can use to meet the ADAAG maximum pipe diameter of 1 1/2", that
is not true.  The Department of Justice issued a rare written determination
that the 1 1/2" was a nominal number and that 1 1/2" pipe with an actual
outside diameter of 1.9" satisfied ADAAG requirements.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.