Rebar placing drawings

I am interested in hearing how others perform reviews of shop drawing
submittals of rebar placing drawings. In how much detail do you review the
placing drawings? What are the items that you do/ do not review? (bar size &
spacing, bar lengths, no. of bars, splice lengths, hook lengths, stirrup
dimensions vs beam size/conc cover, configuration of bars at corners/joints,
extra bars at openings, etc). What items are the Contractor's
responsibility?

What is the "standard of care"? I've heard that some engineering firms state
in their specifications that they don't review rebar placing drawings - is
this common? Does it meet industry standards?

As my shop drawing review budgets get tighter, I'm reviewing the level of
detail that I use in reviewing such submittals. It seems that there is some
variability amongst different engineers. ACI and CRSI only seem to address
this issue in generalities without specifics on what should be reviewed.
What do you do?

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311