RE: Residential Cantilevered Retaining Walls.

Title: Residential Cantilevered Retaining Walls.
If the concrete retaining wall is part of the foundation for a wood framed residential building, I would probably check the retaining wall both ways. Chances are the wall will be backfilled before the diaphragm is installed, and it is probably a good idea if it is done this way so active resistance can be mobilized and wall deflection can occur before the frame structure is built. I would not count on full restraint being provided by the diaphragm.  When you think about, assuming you don't get a lot of rotation at the base, the wall should be doing most of the work, since it will probably be stiffer than the diaphragm or wood shear walls.
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Marczewski [mailto:bmarczewski(--nospam--at)pndast.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 11:07 AM
To: SEOC Engineering Forum (E-mail)
Subject: Residential Cantilevered Retaining Walls.

I'm curious to know how the other people on the list design concrete retaining walls for residential structures.  If you design the wall as a cantilevered wall with reinforcing on tension face (soil side), then install the floor diaphragm it would seem you have just turned it into a restrained wall.  The restrained wall would appear to want the reinforcing on the opposite side (non-soil side).  Is anybody designing these as "Restrained Walls"?  If so, are you doing any special blocking where the joist is parallel to the wall beyond the first joist space?  Thanks for any comments received.

Bill S. Marczewski, P.E.
Peratrovich, Nottingham & Drage, Inc.
503-325-1250 Main; 503-325-9789 Fax
bmarczewski(--nospam--at)pndast.com