From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 8:54 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Residential Cantilevered Retaining Walls.

Hi, Tony.

It's been my experience that it is sometimes difficult to get the contractor to pour a slab at the bottom of a retaining wall before backfill because they can't get the concrete trucks close enough. If I think that there is a possibility that this can happen (like at a garage cut into the slope of a hill), I will specify that the slab is to be installed before backfill believing that the concrete truck can approach at the open (low) side. If I get that telephone call telling me that the contractor can't/won't pour the slab prior to backfill, I will redesign the footing to be unrestrained, usually requiring a big a** key, wider footing, etc. At this point, the contractor will figure out a way to pour the slab. IMO, shoring opens up another can of worms (design, specifications, etc.) and (probably) gets another engineer and sub-contractor on the job.

With regards to designing the wall as restrained, if the wall is backfilled before the diaphragm is installed, it has rotated prior to restraint and will not see much load from earth pressure. I agree, however, that any live load surcharge will be applied to the wall in a restrained condition and it would be prudent to look at some nominal steel on the inside face around midheight just for safety's sake.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)