Structure Reuse

Chris Hewitt wrote:

>Hi Folks,

>I am trying to find some examples of building
>structure reuse in non-residential applications.
>Specifically, I am looking for examples of gravity or
>lateral systems that were disassembled from one
>building and directly used in another.

One not-too-glamorous but common example is the use of
old pony truss top chords (two channels and a plate)
as pile caps on small county bridges.  Twenty years
and several firms ago, we found an inverse
relationship between how much money a county had and
how creative the engineers were with their roads and
bridges.  Most of the counties whose bridges we
inspected didn't have much money, so they tended to be
pretty interesting.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
Saint Paul, Minnesota