RE: approach slab

Thanks Roger.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Enviado el: Thursday, March 06, 2003 8:16 AM
Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Asunto: approach slab

Raul,

One function of an approach slab is to prevent wheel loading within the
height of the backwall of the abutment, thereby avoiding application of a
surcharge to the soil pressure.  The minimum length of an approach slab that

I use is 10' (3 m), but not less than the length of the abutment wing walls
or the height of the backwall.

Another function of an approach slab is to minimize damage from wheels
hammering the top edge of the abutment backwall as a result of soil
consolidation due to traffic loads.

I have always designed approach slabs as simply supported slabs with one end

supported on the abutment backwall and the other end supported on the
ground.  This will provide a structurally adequate slab in the event of any
unanticipated soil consolidation behind the abutment.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Raul Marino wrote:

. > Taking advantage that they speak of this topic if somebody could help me

. > to understand   when it is necessary the approach slab and how to make
of
. > the calculate ?

. > Thanks for your Helps,

. > Regards