RE: Aerated concrete block

James:

I would recommend contacting Jim Niehoff at the Portland Cement Association. Jim is responsible for the residential market at PCA and will be able to provide to you a wealth of information on this. His phone number is 847.966.6200 and his e-mail address is jniehoff(--nospam--at)cement.org.

Dave Fanella

-------------------------------

A local contractor has proposed constructing a new home using 8 inch aerated concrete block. The basement would use standard CMU, and the second floor would be wood framed. Is anyone familiar with this material? Concerns I have include method of installation, corrosion protection and efficiency of reinforcement; contractor lack of familiarity with the material (I am not aware of any buildings constructed near this area using aerated concrete block); durability in harsh freeze/thaw conditions; interfacing with other materials; and, a host of other normal construction details.

Thanks.

James Cohen, PE
James Cohen Consulting, PC
Pennington, NJ
http://expertpages.com/jccpc

David A. Fanella, Ph.D., S.E., P.E.
Director of Engineering
S.K. Ghosh Associates, Inc.
1856 Walters Avenue, Suite 200
Northbrook, IL 60062
Ph: 847.291.9864
Fax: 847.291.9865
E-mail: dfanella(--nospam--at)skghoshassociates.com
Web Page: skghoshassociates.com